At the Theatre
Stephen began his career of actor at the theatre. He played with many companies, semi-professional ones at the beginning and then professional ones.
At the age of 10 (he looked 16 according to what he remembered), he worked with the University Players, a semi-professional company, in "Michelmas Eve" by TC Murray as a 60 year-old man, a poacher. He considered himself "excruciatlingly bad in it". He did 6 plays a year with the company.
Then he worked with the Mayfair players until he was 17 years old, then with the Ulster Theatre Group, with a Clare Tree Major Group in the United States, with the Windsor Repertory Theatre and the Midland Theatre Company.
The chronology may be wrong as I don't have much information about that period.
- Michelmas Eve, by TC Murray as a 60 year-old man, a poacher.
- Passing Day, by George Shields, as understudy.
- Quinn's secret, by George Shields.
- Frieda, by George Shields.
- Little Women, as Lourie.
- The Deep Blue Sea, as Kenneth More.
- Winter Journey, adaptation of The Country Girl.
- Passing Day, by George Shields.
- A Streetcar Named Desire, by Tennessee Williams (1953) as Stanley Kowalski.
- The River Line.
- To Dorothy, a son.
- Who Goes There ?
- Johnny Belinda.
- Aladdin, a Christmas Pantomime as Grand Vizier.
- The Mc Gooeys, Radio play, as an inspector of Police.